Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Things that I have learned

Yesterday was a great day. I did something I had never done before. I voted...I know, don't all gasp at once. I always seemed to be registered somewhere else and never kept up with where. This time was different. I registered in the right place and went out there and made a difference.

I have learned the value of taking a stand.

Yesterday, I realized who cares what your kid wears to the store. Summer dressed herself and I was like, wow, that doesn't even match. But you know, she didn't care. She liked what she had on. I wished she had a button that said "I dressed myself." Later, I took her with me to the store and totally forgot myself. I didn't even think to change her before we left. No one stopped and stared because she didn't match. No one pointed fingers. And if anyone did, I wasn't even paying attention and I didn't care. All people did was smile and talk to her.

I have learned that being perfect isn't everything, but being happy is.

Last night, we had a friend over for dinner. He was desperately missing his family and we were able to open up our home to him for the evening. Summer did something that she has never done before. She sat near him. He mentioned this to me; it was something I had never noticed before. You could just tell he missed his family and this small act helped.

I have learned that small acts of kindness can make a huge difference.

Last night, Barack Obama was named President-elect. This morning, I woke up with a sense of accomplishment. I helped make that possible. I woke up thinking of all the boundaries that had been crossed by him winning. I realized that our nation had progressed so much, that color did not keep this great man behind. This will yet again be a great day that will be written about in our history books.

I have learned that nothing is impossible.

This morning, I told my daughter of this great feat. I told her that this will pave the way for future successes. I also threw in that she would have to keep getting good grades and make good choices. And that maybe one day, she could be the 1st woman president, if that is what she wanted to do. Her face lit up.

I have learned that encouragement can lead to greatness.

No comments: