Tuesday, November 4, 2008

a little mayhem and a little nostalgia at the precinct

So Emerald and I went to vote this morning. A wise woman told me to arrive early, but of course I didn't. The parking lot was absolutely crazy. Cars were parked every which way, including mine which I ended having to move because I blocked someone in. Inside, the lines were set up like this A-K and L-Z; only there were no signs until you made it to the table so the person in front of you was responsible for letting you know...what? Who hired them for this job? No cellphones passed the inside doors...again, no signs.

What a great experience for Emerald! I hope. When I was little I was able to go into the booth with my grandparents and watch them vote (ok, so they let me press it once...don't tell anyone). No such luck this time around. You got either paper or the computer terminal (which was only semi-private). So I chose the computer terminal and it wasn't too complicated. In the end, Emerald got a "I voted" sticker. Exciting for me, just ok to her; the sticker, I mean.

Finally, the chaos was over once the american flag on the screen waved at me. We rushed to school so Emerald didn't miss her bus for her school trip. Luckily, for me, I was able to keep in contact with her teacher to see when the bus was going to leave. Did you ever notice that when you are in a rush, you get delayed by all of these extra things? Like the police car that is parked in a school zone that you can only drive 20 mph in, like the school secretary that is on the phone when you are trying to check in...AAHH, How frustrating! We were late but actually right on time.

Early voting started 2 weeks ago and everyday I kept saying I'll go tomorrow and tomorrow came and went. I didn't go, not because I kept trying to put it off but because I kept forgetting. I actually tried to go yesterday and would you believe that early voting had ended on Friday. Next time, I will definitely take advantage of early voting. So to anyone out there that still needs to cast a ballot, remember this quote by Benjamin Franklin: "You may delay, but time will not."

No comments: